Year-Round Allergies: Cockroaches
For many city dwellers, keeping cockroaches at bay is a constant battle. If you’re allergic, it’s especially important — many year-round nasal allergy symptoms are caused by exposure to cockroach droppings.
To reduce nasal allergy symptoms
caused by cockroaches, keep them out!
Try these tips:
- Try to block places where cockroaches can enter — cracks, crevices, and windows
- Don't provide them with water — repair leaky faucets and pipes
- Don't provide them with food — clean up thoroughly after meals and snacks (don't forget hidden areas like under appliances and the toaster tray). Keep food in sealed containers, and remove pet food dishes after pets are finished eating
- Use lidded garbage cans, and take out trash and recyclables frequently
- Consider hiring an exterminator to help control cockroaches
- Take steps to allergy-proof your home